Thursday, July 22, 2010

I'm Going To Date Myself



I'm not talking "taking myself out to dinner", I am talking "woah, I'm going to sound old". I don't think of myself as old, I haven't quite hit the big 4 oh, but regardless, in the sense of technology, it makes me feel kind of old. Not in a bad way, in fact I feel rather lucky to be of the generation that grew up without all of these gadgets, but get to enjoy them now. Children of today will not know a life without these things and I will. I just find that interesting to ponder.
Thinking back to my first experiences with computers it makes me chuckle. Basic was just that, basic. Even up until I was in college, still the basics. Internet was not common and I don't think I had even heard of it at that time. I was still looking in card catalogs in the library!!! Computerized card catalogs did help a bit though. If only the internet was available to us at the time, my research papers would have been so much easier. Oh, the distractions that go with it, but I won't go there.
And now look at me. On the computer for a crazy amount of my day. It's my hub. My base of operations. I can tell you one thing for sure. Scott and I would not have been able to make it as artists without computers and the internet. We maybe could have, but likely wouldn't have chosen to. Shows are exhausting and unpredictable. I love the fact that we have the opportunity to market our goods world-wide and build a customer base from all walks of life. Social Media enthralls me with its possibilities. Target marketing at its best. What I mean by that is the ability to share information about your art and your business with people who have chosen to receive the information. You are sharing with people who give a darn. That is what I like. Whether they buy or not, to have people interested enough to follow what is going on, well, it makes me feel good.
In those early days I was so bored in computer class and thought it would never benefit me, but wow, who would have thought!!! I never would have dreamed!!!

No comments: