Friday, July 23, 2010

Life Lessons From A Dear Friend


Last night I attended a memorial service for a dear friend of our family, Cal MacDonald. His service was at the Seattle Museum of Flight. He was a docent there for many years. He had also been a pilot for Northwest Airlines for many years before that. This was the second funeral/memorial I have ever been to, but I know as I grow older that number will be increasing. It was torturously wonderful. Heartwrenchingly beautiful. Videos, pictures, many words from friends and family. I walk away a better person. The shock and awe of seeing something like this sure puts you in perspective quickly. A strong message to live in the moment.
This photo shows what was behind the podium. It was an amazing setting. I guess I just want to pass along one of the beautiful messages that was passed along. It was something that Cal would say to his son when he'd say "oh man, I have to get out of bed.." Cal would say back to him, "Chris, you get to get out of bed." This persective can and should be applied to daily life on a regular basis. I know I will apply it to mine.

No comments: